Friday 29 August 2014

Outraged of Hove

I went to a breakfast meeting this morning. Well, actually I arranged to see one of my team yesterday afternoon and he was in the pub so we met for a bit of brekky instead. He lives in the Marina and  there's only one decent cafe there but it wasn't open so we headed (at his suggestion) for the plastic drinking experience that is Wetherspoons.

There are two breakfast options. The standard one and the 'large' one. The only difference was mushrooms as far as I could see, oh and the £1.59 difference in price. But I like mushrooms so I thought 'what the hell' let's go large - I believe that's the popular vernacular of the type of people who populate these types of fake establishments.

When the breakfast come it had one mushroom on it - yes, you heard me, one mushroom.

Now my friend is a lawyer so I instantly saw an opportunity for him here. I pointed out I'd been charged £1.59 for a mushroom (and we're not talking giant mushroom here people) and grabbed the menu.

That's when I realised my error. The table of contents actually said "mushroom". I'd missed this subtle deception and been had. My pal pointed out to me that the description was right (if outrageous) and said the sausages were nice though. I could tell my plea for expertise was falling on deaf ears.

Now I know times are tough in the brewing industry, heaven knows how many pubs have closed in the time it's taken me to write this blog, but I hardly think ripping me off to the tune of £1.52 (I'm generously allowing them 7p for the mushroom) will make that much difference.

The breakfast wasn't actually that bad. My expectations were very low I must admit and edible now translates as not bad. But the sense of injustice has stayed with me. As a result I won't eat in there again. Now, having said that, I wouldn't eat in there out of choice anyway, so I guess my sanction is a bit lame.

I'm not very good at this public outrage stuff. When Cafe Rouge in the a marina banned smoking at their outside tables I took my business elsewhere by eating, instead, at the Cafe Rouge in town. See, I take rage to new heights. Others would write a letter to the Editor of some paper or other, or get a placard and stand outside. For me the boycott is as far as it goes.

Anybody fancy opening a cafe in Brighton Marina? I've got one customer for you if your mushroom pricing is reasonable........

No comments:

Post a Comment