Monday 11 April 2011

Am I Fattist?

I like to think I am a free thinking, easy going sort of Joe who doesn’t really care what other people want to wear. I live in Brighton for God’s sake so there’s a lot to see and in the main I enjoy the Bohemian stuff and the quirky looks. But I do have a problem with women in leggings.....
Now when I say women what I mean is BIG women. Those women who know the inside of a McDonalds intimately and have life membership at Greggs . In simple terms obese women – and sadly there are more and more of them everyday.
Part of me is sad that society has taken us to a place where shuffling about with huge sacks of fat flapping as you go is now somehow acceptable. Wobbling along is almost the norm in certain parts of town (around the fast food shops and for some reason outside Argos!) and this ‘normality’ had led to people seeing no shame in being obese anymore – it’s allowed and they are starting to get proud – and here is my problem.
It is a fact that there is nothing attractive (for most of us) about fat people when they are undressed. Famous fatties (Dawn French bless her heart comes to mind) celebrate their rotundity whilst selecting their clothes carefully; we know there is a lot going on under the clothes but we can’t see it directly, and that is totally cool. I accept fully they may be wonderful people and if I got to know them I would see the beauty inside – and I am willing in the right circumstances to do that – but when walking through a shopping centre that intimacy isn’t available, all I get at this time is a straight forward visual image.
I can find nothing more upsetting on my casual walk through town that seeing a hugely fat woman wearing black leggings and a short T Shirt. There I’ve said it. I have no understanding of why they sell leggings (designed to sculpt the body) in size 24, no doubt they are comfortable, but why do these folk think they can wear them alá Britney Spears!! The sight of some vast arse with black leggings spread across it and (hell on earth!) a thong clearly visible beneath, is enough to put me off food for a week. I mean, come on, why do they sell thongs in size 24 either?? Surely they are a health and safety hazard, a woman that size might put one on and never be able to find it again.
So I guess I am Fattist, I’m also complaining about something that actually works in terms of my weight loss as it puts me off food, but hell where did dignity get lost in our culture? Get a grip fat women everywhere – wear leggings if you want but FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE COVER YOUR HORRIBLE ARSES and try not to wear anything that clings!

No comments:

Post a Comment